Wednesday, August 29, 2012 by Shelley Miles
September Activities, September Holidays, Crafts, Games
SEPTEMBER 23 – First Day of Autumn, Checkers day
Fall has officially arrived. Try this craft to celebrate all the gorgeous autumn leaves
Autumn Leaves Craft
- Autumn leaves
- Construction paper
- Photograph of your child
- Tape and glue
- Tempera paint (optional)
- Clear contact paper
- Sandwich leaves between newspaper and press with heavy books for several days.
- When the leaves are dry and flat, glue them onto construction paper, leaving a blank border.
- Glue a photograph of your child (perhaps jumping into a huge pile of leaves) on top of the leaves.
- Decorate the border with leaf prints (lightly paint the back of a leaf with acrylic paint, then press onto the paper).
- When finished, seal with clear contact paper, place the picture in a frame, or have it laminated.
Checkers Day really has nothing to do with the game of checkers. On September 23, 1952, Richard M. Nixon, then a candidate for Vice-President of the United States, gave his famous "Checkers" speech. "Checkers" was the name of the Nixon family dog! So gather up the family and the dog and enjoy an evening playing checkers together. Here are the rules for playing checkers.
All Blog Entrys
• May Activiites
• November holidays
• Summer Solstice
• Justin Roberts
• Train Day
• Life Skills
• August Activities
• January Activities
• May 3
• Outdoor fun