May 19 - Circus Day, National Boating Safety Day, Dog Bite Prevention
Sunday, April 28, 2013 by Shelley Miles
May Activities, Boat, Circus, Pet Safety, Pets
Your child can be every performer under the big top on Circus Day! Set aside some time to play “circus,” and let your child play different roles. He or she can be a clown by wearing a silly hat or wig, some make-up, and a funny outfit; a circus animal by jumping through a hula hoop; or an acrobat by jumping and tumbling.
You have the important role of ringmaster, announcing your child’s entrance as he or she plays each part. Encourage him or her to “ham it up”; and don’t forget to give each performance a round of applause.
National Boating Safety Day - Find a park rowboats can be rented. You can each take an oar and try steering the boat together. Most likely, you'll find yourself going round and round in circles. That's all part of the fun. (Make sure you're both wearing life jackets). You can also pretend you're explorers in an unknown wilderness.
If there isn't a park near you, toy boats in a pool, wading pool or the bath-tub can almost be as much fun. Or, try this simple "soap-powered" cardboard boat.
Dog Bite Prevention Week
According the ASPCA., 50% of all children will be bitten by a dog before their 12th birthday. . And most bites come from dogs that a child knows. Most bites can be prevented.
Recite these pledges from the ASPCA with your child.
1. I will not stare into a dog's eyes.
2. I will not tease dogs behind fences.
3. I will not go near dogs chained up in yards.
4. I will not touch a dog I see loose (off-leash) outside.
5. If I see a loose dog, I will tell an adult immediately.
6. I will not run and scream if a loose dog comes near me.
7. I will stand very still (like a tree), and will be very quiet if a dog comes near me.
8. I will not touch or play with a dog while he or she is eating.
9. I will not touch a dog when he or she is sleeping.
10. I will only pet a dog if I have received permission from the dog's owner.
11. Then I will ask permission of the dog by letting him sniff my closed hand.
Download their free activities sheets to reinforce these lessons.
ASPCA Activity Sheets
All Blog Entrys
• March Activities
• July activities
• Ballet Audition Tours
• Canada Day
• November holidays
• October holidays
• National Friendship Day
• State Fairs
• Book List
• Summer Solstice