May 11 Eat Whatever You Want Day - 10 tips to get your kids eating right (even those picky eaters!)
Saturday, April 27, 2013 by Shelley Miles
Healthy Eating, May Activities, Picky Eaters
Kids who grow up with healthy food choices will most often choose something healthy and delicious to eat.
- Give your kids lots of healthy choices. Put out a variety of healthy choices and let them be in charge.
- Who said "don't play with your food?" Little ones learn by playing. Let them touch and squeeze and taste. (Just keep a washcloth near by.)
- Have your kids help plan the meal. Choose together what you are going to cook. Have them participate in the shopping and cooking. Go tasting at the farmer's market together. Things they made ALWAYS taste better.
- Model good eating habits. Keep lots of healthy foods available for snacking. Let them see you eating healthy foods.
- Don't bribe kids with dessert. It sends a message that the healthy foods must not be as good as the dessert. If they want to eat dessert in the middle of their meal it's ok. If you don't make an issue of it, they'll probably go back to eating the main course.
- Always offer new things to try, but don't force them to eat something they don't want. Even if they say no 5 times, they might say yes the sixth time.
- Don't make food a control issue. Kids usually know when they are full.
- Try to reduce exposure to commercials promoting junk food.
- Make some wild and crazy healthy snacks togethes- graham cracker frozen yogurt sandwiches, cookie cutter sandwiches,berry frozen yogurt pops
- Kids love dipping. Apples dipped in peanut butter, bananas dipped in yogurt, carrot sticks dipped in hummus, and celery dipped in salsa - all delicious kid pleasers.
But since today is eat anything you want day - go ahead and go crazy. After all, it' just one day.
All Blog Entrys
• Outdoor games
• Bicycle Safety
• October holidays
• Sleep Routines
• April Activities
• Dental Hygiene